Introduction to Counselling Course
Basingstoke Counselling Service, based in North Hampshire, offers an Introduction to Counselling Course running three times per year.
What does the Introduction to Counselling course cover?
This course has multiple aspects to it, including:
- to provide an understanding of what counselling is and its origins
- to provide a safe environment for self-exploration and reflection
- to develop listening and communication skills
- to establish some basic counselling skills
- to demonstrate how counselling skills can be usefully applied to personal and professional relationships.
Is this course for me?
People’s motivations for undertaking this course vary, such as:
- thinking about a career in counselling and psychotherapy but wanting to know more before committing to a full training
- wanting to gain greater self-awareness and understanding of themselves
- looking to develop their helping skills in a professional or voluntary role
- interested in knowing more about the origins and types of counselling
- wanting to develop skills for self-reflection
- hoping to gain more understanding of their professional and personal relationships
- wishing to take the first step recommended by the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) in a progressive training journey as a counsellor
- wishing to support those close to them
If any of these reasons resonate with you, please see below to find out more and how to apply.
“Cannot recommend these courses highly enough…superb!!
Life changing on a personal level and a fabulous well presented and thought-through introduction for anyone considering a career in counselling and therapy.”
Introduction to Counselling 2022 Course Participant
No formal qualifications are required.
Applicants must be aged 18+ to apply for this course.
Introduction to Counselling course structure
This is a 10-week course comprising one three-hour session per week.
All sessions in Course One take place in person in Basingstoke on a Monday evening from 6pm – 9pm.
All sessions in Course Two are held online on a Monday evening from 6pm – 9pm.
All sessions in Course Three are held in person in Basingstoke over three intensive weekends from 9.30am – 2.30pm (both Saturday and Sunday).
Course leader and teaching methods
The course is led by an experienced Counsellor and Trainer who adheres to the BACP Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions. Teaching is through presentations, group exercises, role-play, and group discussions.
Catherine Butler MBACP
Certificate and Introduction Course Manager
Catherine is the Certificate and Introduction Course Manager and is responsible for all aspects of these courses. She is an experienced Psychodynamic Counsellor and in addition to working at BCS she has a thriving private practice. Catherine has a background in training; this experience combined with extensive subject knowledge, a good sense of humour and excellent communication skills gives her the ability to enthuse, encourage, motivate, and nurture others. Catherine also teaches the first term of the Certificate, is a course tutor and delivers a number of workshops.
*If you go on to study our Certificate in Counselling Skills and Theory (Levels 2 & 3), you’ll receive a £245 discount on your course fees.
Introduction to Counselling course dates
Weekend Intensive Introduction to Counselling (In-person)
23rd and 24th March 2024 9am – 2pm
20th and 21st April 2024 9am – 2pm
18th and 19th May 2024 9am – 2pm
An attendance of 80% is required in order to receive your certificate of completion.
If you would like to receive further information or have any questions about the course, please contact us on 01256 843125 or email@example.com
Completion of an Introduction to Counselling course prior to applying for the Certificate in Counselling Skills & Theory is recommended but not essential.
In the unlikely event that unforeseen circumstances arise and Basingstoke Counselling Service has to cancel this course a full refund will be given. In the event of cancellation by the participant, Basingstoke Counselling Service reserves the right to charge a cancellation fee as indicated by the table below. All requests for cancellations must be received in writing, with changes becoming effective on the date written confirmation is received.
|Calendar days’ notice before the start date of the course||Refund applicable|
|90 calendar days or more before you are due to start the Course||Full refund (less admin fee of £25)|
|Between 60 and 89 calendar days (inclusive)||50% refund (less admin fee of £25)|
|Between 30 and 59 calendar days (inclusive)||25% refund (less admin fee of £25)|
|Within 29 calendar days of the course commencing||No refund given|